Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Happy Birthday Mary!

Today is the feast day of the nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. That is a long winded way of saying it is Mary's birthday.

I try (and usually fail) to celebrate feast days and other notable liturgical times in our house. I think they are great times to teach the kids about different aspects of their faith, it connects us with the wider world church and it is a great excuse to eat cake!

So today we made Marry a birthday cake. But as any good mother she would like a healthier version (and I still have way too much zucchini) so she is getting a Chocolate Zucchini Cake.


Here is my recipe

2 cups pealed and sheared zuchinni (a little more if you are desperate to get rid of zucchini)
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoon vanilla

mix all that together in a bowl

then in another bowl mix:

2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons backing soda
and 1/3 cups cocoa powder.

Add the wet to the dry and mix it all up. I add a handful or two of chocolate chips because I love chocolate.

Bake for about 25 to 30 mins at 350. 

This cake is so good that even my most picky, vegetable hating kid eats it. 


So happy birthday Mary. And happy feast day to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment