Monday, October 21, 2013

We got a second hand backyard fire pit for some new friends of ours. The great gift that these people have been to us is another post all together, but the fire pit would have been amazing even if it had not come from such a wonderful family.

In some ways this fires pit is symbolic of all that I love about where we live.  We got it because people here are friendly enough to talk to you after mass, invite you over for a BBQ and then let you take their old fire pit. Prairie people really are friendlier then any other people I have met. Ryan says it is because the weather can kill you so every one has to look out for each other. Hopefully I will not find out if that is true.
We now have to space to use a backyard fire pit. We could never have had a backyard to put it on the west coast. 

Plus it was actually cool enough to make sense to use it but it was not raining! The reality of winter without 40 days of rain (in a row) is truly amazing. Yes it snowed again last night but it was not grey and wet all day. And sitting outside after dinner it was beautiful.

The wood for the fire was brought over last night by Ryan's brother. It was wood that they no longer needed and were happy to bring over. The double blessing of this was getting to hangout with our family. That is the major reason we are here. I love having them over for dinner, for a quick hello, seeing them at mass, or any of other chances we get to see them. I love that my kids are getting to grow up with family so close. 

And the part that I really love. Sitting around the fire, with my kids, cocoa in hand, telling stories, singing songs and roasting things on sticks. It was magical to just be a family. A normal family that loves each other and has fun together. It may not sound like magic to you, but I saw four happy kids who are here because some cute guy loved me enough to start a life together. They were laughing and loving the nature that the Creator made for them, just so He could see them enjoy it. I felt the heat of the fire and the heat of the love that surrounds me every day. The love of my husband, children, family, friends and over and through it all the love of my maker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment